Navigate Up
Sign In

COVID-19 on the rise 42 confirmed

In the past thirty-six hours, St. Maarten has confirmed six new cases of persons who have tested positive for the Corona Virus (COVID-19). The new total cases of confirmed COVID-19 cases on St. Maarten now stand at 121.

While St. Maarten braces for its first test of severe weather conditions for the 2020 hurricane season, the community also has to face the reality of a rapid spike in the number of COVID-19 cases.

Of the active cases, local health authorities are monitoring 40 people on home isolation, one person is still hospitalized at the St. Maarten Medical Centre (SMMC) while another is isolated in a separate facility. This, according to Minister of Public Health Social Development and Labour (VSA) the honourable Richard Panneflek “we now have forty-two (42), active cases of persons who have contracted the Corona Virus.”

“One (1) new case was confirmed on Monday, July 27 and at four o’clock on Tuesday the Collective Prevention Services CPS confirmed five additional COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of cases in the last twenty-four hours to six,” said Minister Panneflek.

The number of people recovered since the first case surfaced on St. Maarten earlier this year has increased by one (1) to 64. One hundred and eighty-nine (189) people are now in quarantine based on contact tracing investigations carried out by CPS on persons who may have been in contact with any of the 42 active cases.

In a continued effort to control, the spread of the virus CPS has now tested 151 people at the Princess Juliana International Airport, (PJIA) and 682 people throughout the community. Minister Panneflek said Tuesday, “As the numbers increase for positive cases, CPS continues to actively execute its contact tracing measures which will likely reveal more cases before the numbers begin to reduce.”

He said there is still a need to ensure absolute safety while we work towards managing the increase in COVID-19 cases. “We cannot stress the importance of wearing masks, social distancing and washing your hands with soap or using proper hand sanitizers enough. These are the only steps that we as a community can take to ensure that we reduce the spread and flatten the curb as the fight against COVID-19 continues,” said Minister Panneflek.