Ministry of Public Housing, Environment, Spatial Development and Infrastructure (Ministry VROMI), Department of New Projects on behalf of the Government of St. Maarten is hereby informing the residents of Dutch Quarter and the General Public of St. Maarten, that the Dutch Quarter Sewerage Project will once again reconvene with the implementation of the sewerage network in the main road.
The works will resume from the intersection of Zorg and Rust Up until Milton Drive. These works entail excavation and placement of sewer lines in the Illidge Road.
The road closure will commence from Monday June 1st, 2020 to Friday August 7th, 2020. To permit the flow of traffic on the first day, the road will be closed from 9:00 am. Please note that this
road closure will be a permanent closure for the duration of the two-month period.
This road closure also concerns the surrounding areas Belvedere, Defiance and Madame Estate with an addition to the traffic circulation. No through traffic will be allowed from the intersection of Zorg and Rust and Milton Drive.
The project is in the final stage and is nearing completion. All businesses along the main road will remain open and accessible to the public. Proper street lighting will also be put in effect to ensure safety of the community.
The Road Closure is as follows:
- The road will be closed from Monday June 1st, 2020 to August 7th, 2020.
- Traffic will be allowed to enter from the Bishop Hill Roundabout to Dutch Quarter up until the road closure.
- The diversion routes from French St. Martin to Philipsburg will be via Bishop Hill road.
- The diversion routes from French St. Martin to Cole Bay/ Simpson Bay (Airport) will be via the Middle Region Road.
- Traffic using the A.T. Illidge Road to enter Dutch Quarter may do so until Milton Drive.
- Traffic using the A.T. Illidge Road to Oyster Pond and French St. Martin will be diverted via the Middle Region Road.
- The bus stop at the roundabout will be identified with signs indicating the new stop location for passenger busses.
Working together for a better St. Maarten
In full cooperation with the Traffic Department, Ministry VROMI is asking all motorists to please respect the traffic diversion and
the notice placed for the detour for a smooth transition while the works are being carried out.
This is to ensure safety to all during the period of civil works. The works are scheduled to be carried out during the daytime. The project consists of the sewerage infrastructure for the Dutch Quarter district.
The works are part of the 10th EDF programme related to the upgrading of the infrastructure of socially deprived neighbourhoods.
The Ministry of VROMI Department of New Projects on behalf of the Government of St. Maarten would like to thank everyone for their patience during the execution of works.
The information will be updated when necessary with respect to any changes via the Ministry of VROMI Facebook Page, the Project Facebook Page, and the Community of Dutch Quarter Facebook Page.
Motorists are requested to be vigilant and observant for the traffic directional signs.
Notice to the public and all motorists, tampering and/or removing barricades or any of government properties is punishable by law.
Ministry VROMI apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause.