1. Requests for a marriage must be submitted at least 14 days before the date of marriage;
2. A marriage on Sint Maarten can be performed at the Marriage Hall or, a location away from the Marriage Hall;
3. The following original documents must be submitted:
- A full abridged birth certificate to prove the legality of the name (This
document will not be accepted and a new birth certificate will be needed
if older than 3 years);
- Unmarried person(s) must present a declaration of marital status not older
than 3 months;
- If widow(er), a death certificate;
- If divorced, a divorce certificate/decree or a final judgment.
Depending on the country of origin, the above requested documents may require legalization.
Some countries may require an Apostille Stamp and can be obtained at the Secretary of State where documents were issued, the Civil Registry or High Court. In several countries the documents must be authentized first by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of that country and then legalized by the Dutch Consulate.
Besides the above mentioned, the following information is also needed:
- Address, profession and nationality of the bride and groom;
- Passport copies of booth parties;
- Names of the parents and maiden names of the mothers;
- Passport copies of the witnesses;
4. You will need minimum two and maximum four witnesses if the marriage is performed in the Marriage Hall. Away from the Marriage Hall, you will need six witnesses.
5. Original documents other than Dutch or English will need to be translated into the Dutch or English languages.
6. The price for contracting marriage depends on your choice of location and day of the ceremony and will be a minimum Nafls 315.00 and a maximum Nafls 735,00 or US$ 178.00 and maximum $ 409,58.
7. Non dutch nationals and persons not legally registered requires attending an interview at the Immigration Department (D-79).
8. Marriages will be performed after all documents are found correct by the Civil Registrar.
9. The law separates church from state.
• Marriage are performed from Monday to Sunday from 8:00 am to 5: 00 pm
• Note: Please contact the Civil Registry for all additional information before planning your marriage
• In some instances additional information will be required from the couple before the documents can be processed
• Once all documents have been submitted and payment made, the Civil Registrar begin the process of registering the couple’s intention to be