You’ve had a baby! You are required to register the birth at Civil Registry Department within 5 days of the birth.
What does this entail?
If a child has been born, the municipality must be informed. This is required by law and should be registered within 5 days of the birth. A Civil Registrar from the Civil Registry Office will then register the birth and a birth certificate will be issued. The birth certificate serves as proof that a child has been born. After the birth is registered, the child can also be registered in the Basic Administration once the parent has residency on the island.
How does it work?
You can register a birth at Civil Registry Department at the Soualiga Road # 6, Philipsburg.
What are the conditions?
The registration must be done in the municipality where the child was born.
The registration may be done by:
- the father or mother of the child
- person(s) present at the birth (friend, grandparent etc.)
- the person in whose home the child was born
- the head of the hospital or clinic where the child was born.
If none of these authorized persons are present, the birth will be registered by the Minister of General Affairs.
And who is it for?
People who are having or have just had a baby.
What is needed?
- A valid proof of identification from the person registering the birth
- A valid proof of identification from the mother
- A statement by the doctor or midwife. This is to confirm the identity of the mother and to confirm that a birth took place on the Island
- If the child has already been acknowledged before birth: a copy of the deed of acknowledgment.
Please note: A deed of acknowledgment does not automatically establish the guardianship over the child. This guardianship has to be officially determined by the court of First Instance. More information on this topic is available on the website of the Ministry of Justice(www.min.justitiesxm.com)
The municipality will verify the authenticity of your proof of identity.
What is the cost?
This service is provided free of charge.
How long does it take?
The birth is registered immediately at the Civil Registry Department.
How do I apply / What do I need to do?
You need to register the birth of the child within 5 days and bring the relevant documents. If you are unable to do so because of a weekend or public holiday, you must register the birth on the first working day after the weekend or public holiday.
Not a (legal) resident of Sint Maarten?
Was your child born in Sint Maarten but you are not registered in the Basic Administration? Then you still need to register the birth at the Civil Registry.