The mandate of the Department of Sports is to further strengthen and develop sports on St. Maarten and to ensure an atmosphere which enables all citizens to achieve the highest quality of life.
The vision of Department of Sports is to ensure the enrichment of our people social, physical and economical well being.
The mission is to ensure that sports and physical education is integrated into the agendas of the various ministries.
There should be excellence in the performance of all sporting activities
Those who provide such services must be accountable to St. Maarten and its people and must base those services on equal access.
To ensure that the optimal quality of service be given to enhance athletic performance
- to further strengthen and develop sports on St. Maarten;
- to ensure an atmosphere which enables all citizens to achieve the highest quality of life;
- To facilitate the coherency between the decision makers and the practitioners of recreational and professional sports;
- To guide the development of facilities and sporting infrastructure of consonant with the needs and resources of the country;
- to ensure a proper structure outlining the implementation of physical education and sports in our educational system;
- to ensure the formulation of strategies and programs that will facilitate the development and management of sports;
- to create career opportunities (talent scholarships, elite sports)
- to ensure that the integration of sports is considered when developing governmental health, economic, social, educational and environmental programs and policies.
- Affirm the fundamental human right that everyone should be free to develop and preserve his or her physical, intellectual and moral powers, and access to physical education and sports.
- Recognize the vital importance that sports plays in the full and well balanced development of the individual, the community and the nation.
- Bring about awareness of the positive benefits organized sports tourism can bring to the diversification of the island’s economy.
- Raise concern for the lack of coherency between the decision makers and the practitioners of recreational and professional sports.
- Understand the need to lay down the basis from which ideal programs and projects can be developed and or managed.