Public safety, law and order are some of the essential principles that govern societies around the world. At the Ministry of Justice we believe that each and every interconnected agency, organization and process holds invaluable responsibilities to furthering the overall progress of St. Maarten and its people.
To create the conditions necessary for maintaining security, order and peace and ensuring the rights within the community of St. Maarten.
A justice system that exemplifies fairness, integrity, law, and order enabling a safer and more progressive St. Maarten.
The Ministry of Justice serves as one of the most integral divisions of the St. Maarten government, its constitution and its citizenry. It is our mandate to develop, adopt (codification) and revise the civil, criminal, administrative and commercial laws and procedures regarding;
- Immigration matters including admission and expulsion
- Youth criminality
- Crime control and prevention
- The detention care, prisons, detention and release as well as pardon, amnesty or general pardon
- Policing and border control system
- The courts, the judiciary and prosecutors