What is Medical Aid?
Medical aid is coverage for medical expenses provided to those who qualify and are not insured elsewhere.
Who can qualify?
- A Dutch national who has been registered at the census office longer than three months prior to the date of application
- A non-Dutch national, older than 60 years, in the possession of a valid permanent residence permit, who has been registered at the census office longer than five years prior to application.
- One who is registered as unemployed and is actively seeking employment.
What documents must be submitted?
- A complete medical assistance application form
- A registration form from the census office
- A copy of passport and a copy of valid ID card
- A copy of Residence permit (if applicable)
- Copy of utility bills (GEBE, Telem, Cable)
- Proof of income – salary slips, pension letter(SZV, APNA, GOVERNMENT, etc), rental (Apartment or land), child support, alimony, settlement, etc
- Proof of expenditure – rent receipt, loans, etc.
- Proof of legal guardianship of minor children. (if applicable)
- Proofs that the applicant was actively looking for work. (Negative response letters from companies where they applied.)
- A letter from SZV stating you are not SZV insured
- A valid doctor’s letter stating applicant’s ability to work.
What is the duration of the coverage?
- Senior citizens (60 years and older) and those physically impaired coverage for 5 years
- Children from 0 – 12 years coverage for 5 years
- Children from 13 – 17 years coverage for the amount of years remaining until their 17th birthday
- Applicant 18 to 59 years old coverage for one year.
How long before I get an answer?
Applicants should expect a response within 4 to 8 weeks after submitting their documents.